Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post below are "affiliate links" from ShopStyle and RewardStyle. This means if you click on the link and/or purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Let’s examine nude lipsticks worn by Kerry Washington.
— Mikki Taylor (@IAmMikkiTaylor) November 19, 2012
Kerry Washington’s signature pink lipstick as Olivia Pope is pretty epic, but it’s just something about the way the actress wears a pout with a hint of caramel or rose. She sets the standard for habitual nude lipstick wearers everywhere, wouldn’t you say?
This dimension, as celebrity makeup artist Sam Fine prefers, is what makes a nude lipstick truly ready-to-wear for brown skin.
Nude shades and pink (tones) can get lost against rich skin tones, so I use brown lip liner for definition.
For example, for someone with Kerry’s complexion, she could use the same options the Scandal makeup department uses on the actress: Laura Mercier Lip Liner in Hazelnut Tea, MAC Pro Longwear Lip Pencil in Nice ‘N’ Spicy or Chantecaille Lip Definer in Discreet. If you’re looking for something else to wear besides the heralded MAC Lip Pencil in Chestnut, go for IMAN Perfect Lip Pencil in Espresso.
Original Glamazon Mikki Taylor addressed this lip lesson in her book Commander in Chic: Every Woman’s Guide to Managing Her Style Like a First Lady. The right “sister-friendly hue,” she assures, can often be found at your local drugstore, waiting as it is the right nude for you.
Here are lipsticks Kerry Washington has worn from Dior to Tarte:
Discontinued Nude Lipsticks Kerry Washington Has Worn
- Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick in Pure at the 2014 Met Ball Gala.
- To offset Kerry’s bold smoky eye, celebrity makeup artist Carola Gonzalez chose Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-hour Lipstick in Pure, a nude, light rose, at the Met Ball Gala.
- Dior Rouge Lipstick 314 in Angelique Beige at the 2012 Emmys.
- It was Kerry’s idea to go with a nude lip, so I used Dior Rouge Lipstick 314 in Angelique Beige, which looks amazing with her skin tone. I gave it to her [because] she fell in love with it! She couldn’t have been happier with the lipstick shade.-Carola Gonzalez
- L’Oreal Infallible Le Rouge Lipstick in Opulent Organza topped with L’Oreal HIP Shine Struck Liquid Lip Color in Reserve at the 2011 Sundance Festival.
- Celebrity makeup artist Brandy Gomez-Duplessis described Washington as “very elegant [and] very ladylike” so she opted for a soft, effortless nude from L’Oreal: Infallible Le Rouge Lipstick in Opulent Organza. For a finishing touch, she topped Opulent Organza with L’Oreal HIP Shine Struck Liquid Lip Color in Reserve (discontinued). Kerry wore this budget beauty combo at the 2011 February Sundance Festival.
- Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in 23 at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- A little digging led to the name of the lipstick Kerry Washington wore at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards: Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in 23, a satin beige.
Kerry’s Nude Lipsticks: Neutrogena
- Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Warm Caramel at the 2014 Emmys
- Kerry’s luscious nude lip at the 2014 Emmys – the perfect complement to her smokey, cerulean eyes – were none other than Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Warm Caramel. This event marks the third time the actress has worn this versatile shade.
- Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Sticks in Juicy Peach and Warm Caramel at the 2014 BET Awards
- At the 2014 BET Awards, Kerry Washington stepped out in a summer-appropriate Dolce and Gabbana frock with on-trend white pumps. The awards ceremony was her second appearance since having her daughter Isabelle and she, of course, slayed by keeping it classy and sophisticated. To complement her summer-ready ensemble, celebrity makeup artist Pati Dubroff kept the lips “soft and [naturally] nude” with a slight tint of peach by mixing Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Juicy Peach and Warm Caramel.”
- Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Warm Caramel at the 2014 Golden Globes
- As Neutrogena’s newest spokeswoman and creative consultant, the mommy-to-be attended the Golden Globes this past Sunday. Celebrity makeup artist Carola Gonzalez said, “We wanted to do something different, so we decided to go with a bold, dramatic eye. We wanted to be more daring, and due to the elegant simplicity of the dress, this was the perfect time to do this.”Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Warm Caramel (which could be an excellent dupe for Clinique’s Whole Lotta Honey) was chosen to complement Kerry’s smokey eye. Pregnancy agrees with her!
- Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Pink Nude at the at the 2016 NAACP Awards
- Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Warm Caramel at the 2016 Emmys
- Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Stick in Almond Nude at the 2016 Oscars
Kerry’s Nude Lipsticks: Hourglass, Lancome, NARS, & MAC
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Truth at the 2013 Emmys.
- Kerry looked simply ethereal at the 2013 Emmys. I loved everything, and her makeup was divine. Imagine my shock when I found out celebrity beauty pro Carola Gonzalez beat Washington’s face something whimsical! “I wanted to create a soft makeup look that would match Kerry’s delicate and dreamy princess-like dress. The dress itself had so much detail that we just wanted to accentuate her natural features instead of doing anything too bold,” explained Gonzalez. That rosy nude lip is not a lipstick, but a lip gloss. Gonzalez coated Washington’s lips with Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Truth.
- Lancome Rouge in Love Lipstick in Delicate Lace worn at the 2013 Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Awards.
- Celebrity makeup artist Carola Gonzalez swiped on a coat of Lancome Rouge in Love Lipstick in Delicate Lace on the stunning starlet at this year’s Council of Fashion Designers of America.
- NARS Lipstick in Falbala at the 2013 Scandal Paley Center Event.
- Celebrity makeup artist Brigette Reiss-Anderson revealed,”I am always inspired by the clothing. When I saw Kerry’s white dress, it was easy to see what I needed to do: sheer, fresh and light. “She is wearing NARS Lipstick in Falbala, which is one of my favorite nude lipsticks of all time. Another urban beauty legend loves this rose shade too.
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Belle Du Jour at the 2013 Saks Fifth Avenue Scandal Event.
- At the Saks Fifth Avenue Scandal event, Reiss-Anderson revealed Washington wanted a “matte lip.” Reiss-Anderson chose Belle de Jour Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, described by NARS as “the perfect sheer beige.”
- MAC Lip Pencil in Spice & MAC Mineralize Concealer in NC35 at the 2013 “Project Runway” finale.
- Celebrity makeup artist Ashunta Sheriff created a throwback nude lip for Washington’s appearance on Project Runway. First, she prepped the lips with Mary Kay Satin Lips, a two-step system that gently exfoliates and moisturizes the lips. She then lined the lips with MAC Lip Pencil in Spice. Lastly, Sheriff adorned the lips with MAC Mineralize Concealer in NC35.