Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post below are "affiliate links" from ShopStyle and RewardStyle. This means if you click on the link and/or purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Last season, I yearned to know what products the Empire makeup department used on their leading ladies. I was absolutely famished for beauty tidbits so I hit up IMDB to see who was working in Empire‘s makeup department. I briefly exchanged tweets with the show’s chief makeup artist Beverly Jo Pryor (who was so warm and generous) for a time, asking what shades Taraji wore in certain scenes and with particular outfits. Unfortunately, there was not much she could divulge but I understood.
As for Anika, Grace Gealey replied to me and another fan on the ‘Gram to say her makeup artist Jessica Williams used MAC Pro Longwear Lustre Lipcolour in ALL Nighter on her in the episode “False Imposition.”
However, The Cut had all the behind-the-scenes tea. Both Pryor and Empire‘s lead hairstylist Melissa Forney detailed their routines, regimens and processes for the cast.
Cookie Lyon’s Empire Season 1 Skincare and Makeup Regimen by Beverly Jo Pryor
Taraji and I both create the look, along with hair and wardrobe. When she first came out of prison [on the show], she was away for 17 years, so she still had that same basic look — with the cat eyes — if you notice. But[,] as time goes on, she evolves into getting more updated.
- SK-II Facial Treatment Essence (save with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- SK-II Skin Refining Treatment (save with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- SK-II Facial Treatment Essence – Eye (save with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation (save 3% with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- Kryolan Dermacolor Waterproof Translucent Powder
- Bobbi Brown Cream Concealer Kit (save 8% with Ebates at Sephora)
- Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer (save 8% with Ebates at Sephora)
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder (save 8% with Ebates at Sephora)
- MAC lipstick (matte; save 3% with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- Chanel lipstick (save 3% with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- Chanel glosses (save 3% with Ebates at Nordstrom)
Makeup artist Ashunta Sheriff (seen above with makeup head Beverly Jo Pryor) has updated her feed with behind the scenes shots of her makeup station on the Empire set ever since she joining the makeup department. She used the following for Cookie’s top knot, red lip moment:
Cookie Lyon’s Empire Season 2 Trailer Prison Visit Skincare & Makeup by Ashunta Sheriff
- Dior Beauty Capture Totale Le Serum (save 8% with Ebates at Neiman Marcus)
- Dior ‘Hydra Life’ Pro Youth Sorbet Eye Creme (save 3% with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- Dior ‘One Essential’ Intense Skin Detoxifying Booster Serum (save 3% with Ebates at Nordstrom)
- Ashunta Sheriff Perfect Blend Foundation Stick in Tan (black-owned)
- Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder (save 8% with Ebates at Sephora)
- CoverGirl Natural Hue Minerals Bronzer in Ebony Bronze (save 4% with Ebates at Drugstore.com)
- Damone Roberts Minx Brow Powder in Light/Dark Brown (black-owned)
- Damone Roberts Brow Gel (black-owned)
- Damone Roberts Peach For the Stars Brow Highlighter (black-owned)
- Ardell Wispies (save 4% with Ebates at Drugstore.com)
- Dior Diorshow Iconic Mascara (save 8% with Ebates at Sephora)
- Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in Red Rum (a black-owned alternative: Coloured Raine Liquid Lipstick in Cherry Blossom)
With Saks Fifth Avenue coming out with several Empire curated collections next month, do you think the series should tackle something beauty-related before the season 2 premiere on September 23?